ASK A FAIR LAWN, NJ PLUMBER: WHAT CAUSES PIPES TO BURST
April 29, 2013
While in some cases, it is impossible to prevent a burst pipe; there are some preventive steps you can take to ensure that your pipes are well taken care of. Insulation, proper installation, and routine maintenance are all important to upkeep the integrity of your plumbing. We’d like to review several major causes of pipe bursting so that you know what to look out for. If you’re at all concerned about your piping, call an excellent Fair Lawn, NJ plumber at BZ Dependabletoday!
- Frozen pipes: During the winter, when temperatures dip below freezing point, your exposed pipes are at risk of freezing up. When water freezes, it expands; the pipes of your pressurized water supply line are full, and therefore subject to bursting. Winterizing the exposed sections of your plumbing is a good idea if there is any piping in your home that is not within the heated space. This includes any outdoor areas, including exterior faucets, but it also includes interior spaces, such as crawlspace, attic, outside walls. Pipe wrap, insulating tape, and foam are all materials that your local plumber may recommend.
- Old age: Over time, and due to general wear and tear, your pipes may become fragile and prone to breakage. If your plumbing is old, you may want to have it inspected by a professional in order to determine if any sections are at risk of bursting in the near future.
- Water pressure: While your wastewater disposal system uses gravity to move water out of your home, your supply line is pressurized. The pressure calibration needs to be exactly suited to the layout of your home so that it doesn’t exceed what the pipes and pipe connections can handle.
Pipe bursting can cause serious damage to your home. If it’s at all possible to prevent such accidents, make sure you take any necessary steps. For more information about pipe bursting, call a Fair Lawn, NJ plumber at BZ Dependable today!
Posted in Plumbing
| Comments Off on ASK A FAIR LAWN, NJ PLUMBER: WHAT CAUSES PIPES TO BURST
April 22, 2013
You rely on your water heater on a daily basis to provide hot water to your bathroom and kitchen appliances, as well as your washing machine. If your water heater is finicky, or otherwise problematic, then you may not know whether your shower is going to be cold or not, or whether your laundry will be washed properly. If you find that your water heater is unreliable, make sure you get in touch with your local plumber. For Tenafly, NJ plumbing repairservices, contact the experts at BZ Dependable today!
So, your tankless water heater fails to heat the hot water as it should on a regular basis—what do you do?
- Check your warranty: What does your manufacturer or installer’s warranty cover exactly? Make sure you know about any services you’re entitled to. This should be the first step if you find that your tankless water heater no longer works as it should.
- Call your local plumber: Tankless water heaters are more complicated than tank storage models. There might be a quick and easy solution to the problem that you have not yet discovered. Referring the issue to your local plumber can help you determine the problem and the solution.
- Consider replacement: If your water heater is old, or requires frequent repairs, consider replacing it with a new energy efficient model. Every year, water heaters are getting more and more energy efficient. However, the most important part of water heater installation is ensuring that it’s completed professionally by a certified plumber.
Don’t settle for anything less than comfort and convenience. If your tankless water heater is acting up, or doesn’t respond to your hot water needs, make sure you hire a professional who will help you solve the problem. For Tenafly, NJ plumbing repair services, call the experts at BZ Dependable Plumbing & Heating Inc. today!
Posted in Plumbing
| Comments Off on TENAFLY, NJ PLUMBING REPAIR QUESTION: MY TANKLESS WATER HEATER IS UNRELIABLE – WHAT DO I DO?
April 15, 2013
We rely on our sewer systems to dispose of our wastewater rapidly and efficiently. While professional installation should put your plumbing on the right track for the years to come, routine maintenance is also critical to ensuring that any minor issues are dealt with before they erupt into larger, more costly repairs. Drain cleaning is part of that maintenance. Over time, your drains accumulate debris, such as hair, grease, food, organic waste, foreign objects, and even mineral deposits caused by hard water. In this post, we’d like to address a frequently asked question: “When is drain cleaning necessary?”
Drain cleaning cannot hurt your system, so in that sense, it’s always better to clean your drains than to neglect them. That said, it’s not necessary to clean them once a month. It all depends on their age, condition, what’s in your water supply, and the peculiarities of what goes down your drainpipes. While some of our clients like to clean them once a year as a preventive measure against any possible problems, others call for drain cleaning when it seems like there is an issue with the operation of their wastewater system. It depends on your needs and that of your home. Everyone is different.
However, there are some warning signs that suggest there may be something wrong with your drains:
- Slow-moving drainage: Short of a total blockage and backflow problem, slow-moving drains are often indications that drain cleaning should be part of your routine plumbing maintenance. Over time, slow-moving drains can turn into partial, and then complete clogs. If you have any doubts about your drains, or think that they should be draining faster than they actually are, then schedule a drain inspection and cleaning.
- Bad odors: If your drains smell, then that’s a sure sign that drain cleaning is necessary. Not only are those smells irritating to you, your family, and guests, but they also indicate a partial blockage that needs to be dislodged. Forget harsh chemicals—they can ruin your plumbing.
When you’re ready to schedule Bergen County drain cleaning, call the pros at BZ Dependable Plumbing & Heating today!
Posted in Plumbing
| Comments Off on BERGEN COUNTY PLUMBING GUIDE: WHEN IS DRAIN CLEANING NECESSARY?
April 8, 2013
While you may have already begun your spring cleaning around the house, you may not have thought about your sump pump. Because it’s often used as a kind of “insurance appliance” against occasional flooding or seasonal increases in rainfall, there are extended periods when it is not in use. As with any mechanical system, it’s important that your sump pump receive routine maintenance. It needs professional attention at least once a year so that you know it’s there when you need it most. In this post, we’d like to run you through some of our spring sump pump tips. For Fort Lee, NJ plumbing services, call BZ Dependable today!
Here are some things necessary for sump pump maintenance:
- Check power: Your sump pump relies on a steady stream of electric current, although it may also be equipped with a battery backup. Make sure that the pump has not become disconnected from its GFCI outlet that the cord is in good shape. If there’s a battery, replace it every once in a while so that you’re prepared in the event that your power goes out during a flood.
- Test: If your sump pump is out of shape, then put it to work. Dumping some water into the sump pit is a great way to ensure that your unit still works properly. A more comprehensive test should be carried out by a professional, who will perform a thorough inspection and cleaning of all its various components.
- Upright: Making sure that your sump pump stands upright, ready for action, is an essential part of your sump pump’s operation. If it has fallen, the float arm will not adequately sense the encroaching water levels.
- Check the outlet pipes: As you probably know, your sump pump has to pump water outside your home and not just into a drain or sewer. The integrity of your outlet pipe is critical to the sump pump’s performance. By regularly checking and cleaning the outlet system, you can ensure excellent and reliable water removal.
Don’t wait until the next basement flooding to see if your sump pump works. Schedule sump pump maintenance today. For Fort Lee, NJ plumbing services, call the experts at BZ Dependable today!
Posted in Plumbing
| Comments Off on FORT LEE, NJ PLUMBING: SPRING SUMP PUMP TIPS
April 1, 2013
The drains in your home are extremely important components of your home plumbing system. When your drains work properly they are able to remove waste water from your home in a clean, convenient fashion. When your drains are damaged or otherwise compromised, though, you have a potentially big problem on your hands. The longer any necessary Teaneck drain repair service is postponed, the more likely it becomes that the damage to your system will be complex and costly. That is why recognizing the need for Teaneck drain repair is so important. Here are some tips from BZ Dependable on how to do so.
One of the more obvious signs of a need for drain repair is the pooling of water in your basement or around your home. Even small amounts of water can lead to serious damages if given the time. Any leaks in your drain system must be repaired as soon as possible to minimize the risk of damage to your property.
You may also simply notice that your sinks or bathtubs are draining slowly. While this may seem like a minor problem, any slow moving or clogged drains should be treated as a serious issue. Not only are they inconvenient, but clogged drains can also throw off the pressure within your home plumbing system. This can lead to bigger headaches down the road. Contact a professional to ensure that any clogged drains are completely resolved and that they are not indicative of a more serious issue.
Foul odors are another common sign of damaged drains. While the problem may be an easy fix for a qualified plumber, such as a dried out drain trap, there is only one way to diagnose the problem with certainty; have your system thoroughly inspected and serviced by a professional.
If you have any further questions about how to recognize the need for Teaneck drain repair call the professional plumbers at BZ Dependable. We have the skills, knowledge and training to ensure that your drain problems are resolved completely and reliably. Contact us today to learn more about potential problems with your drains and how you can minimize the risk of damage.
Posted in Drain and Sewer
| Comments Off on RECOGNIZING THE NEED FOR DRAIN REPAIR IN YOUR TEANECK, NJ HOME