WHEN SHOULD I RELY ON LIQUID DRAIN CLEANERS FOR CLOGS?
We can answer this question quickly: never.
But you probably want a more detailed response than that. Because liquid drain cleaners are so prevalent, available on the shelves of every grocery store, it’s difficult for homeowners to accept that professional plumbers do not use nor recommend such cleaners to handle drain clogs or any other plumbing task. You don’t have to take the plumbers’ word alone: the U.S. EPA advises against the use of chemical drain cleaners because of their toxicity and potential to harm the environment.
There are better and safer ways to have drain cleaning in Bergenfield, NJ. BZ Dependable Plumbing & Heating, Inc. offers extensive drain cleaning services: if you need a clog removed, or if you want complete drain cleaning done, contact us.
What’s so awful about liquid drain cleaners?
We’ll start with the big issue: they are highly toxic. The primary ingredients of standard liquid cleaners you find in grocery and drug stores are lye and sulfuric acid. Not only is this mixture potentially lethal to swallow, but it produces toxic fumes that will cause skin burns and blindness. Using these liquids on your pipes puts you at risk because the fumes will remain in the air long after you pour the chemicals down the drain.
If you noticed the word “acid” above and thought, “Wow, that can’t be good for my pipes,” you’re correct. Although the acidic chemicals can chew through clogs, they can also chew through pipes. Drain cleaner tends to gather in the p-trap of a sink (the curved pipe directly beneath the drain) and eat away at the interior lining of the pipes. The damage caused isn’t worth it: rely instead on a plumber who uses safe drain snakes or BioSmart Drain Treatment.
Finally, liquid cleaners are damaging to the environment. Toxic residue remains in the bottles even after they are “emptied,” and this will end up in landfills. Seepage of chemicals into the ground can lead to poisoning the environment and toxins entering the water table.
You have much better options for drain cleaning
Whenever you encounter a clog, first try using a sink plunger to push it through. These plungers can handle most smaller clogs. If the plunger doesn’t work, call for a professional plumber to use safe techniques to clear the clogs.
If you have persistent clogging in your home, consider scheduling full drain cleaning services. BZ Dependable Plumbing & Heating, Inc. offers the superb BioSmart drain treatment system that cleans your drains without harming them, you, or the environment. Look to us for your Bergenfield, NJ drain cleaning needs.
Leaks are one of the most destructive problems that can occur in your home’s plumbing—and also one of the hardest to find. It only takes a small leak, such as “pinhole leaks,” to cause severe damage to your house.
When you require leak detection in Teaneck, NJ to find where you need these destructive leaks repaired, give BZ Dependable Plumbing & Heating, Inc. a call. We have provided quality service plumbing in Bergen County for many years.
Here are three ways that leaks can cause damage to your home:
- Ruining building material: Water splashing onto a wall of your home won’t do much. However, a slow build-up of water from a leak can eat right through the materials that make up your house. Water will destroy drywall and cause wood to warp, often leading to extensive repairs and even rebuilding. Slow and small leaks that remain hidden are perhaps the most destructive, since they will have a long time to cause damage.
- Mold and mildew: Standing water from leaks will promote the growth of mold and mildew. Both can lead to unhealthy air (especially for people with allergies) and unpleasant odors. But they also add to the destruction of drywall and wood, causing them to rapidly rot away. Mold and mildew will also quickly ruin insulation in walls, requiring replacement. Mold remediation can be very expensive if the issue is not discovered early.
- Damage from humidity: As leaks start to occur in your house, the water will raise the indoor humidity level. This will cause wallpaper and paint to peel, hurt items stored in the basement or attic, and damage systems like furnaces and ventilation.
If a major leak springs up in a sink, you’ll know about it right away and call for repairs. But most leaks occur where you cannot see them, along pipes and at connections hidden in walls, floors, or in the basement.
You need to pay close attention to signs of leaks: look for mildew or mold developing in corners, signs of damage to wallpaper or drywall, warping of wood floorboards, ceiling stains, or musty smells. Don’t hesitate when these warnings appear: call for professionals to perform leak detection to find all the locations where water is escaping.
Using high-technology detection equipment, our plumbers at BZ Dependable Plumbing & Heating, Inc. will locate where leaking has occurred in your plumbing and put a stop to it.They will also find what caused the leaks in the first place and remedy it to avoid future trouble. For the leak detection in Teaneck, NJ you need, call BZ Dependable Plumbing & Heating, Inc.
The celebration of Valentine’s Day is often seen as a modern institution, even if the roots of the holiday go back to Late Antiquity and the figures of St. Valentine of Rome and St. Valentine of Terni. It’s difficult to separate our view of February 14th from the more recent phenomenon of greeting cards, comical cupids, and specialty treats from candy companies.
However, not only are some of these traditions older than we might think (mass-produced Valentine’s Day cards were an enormous success in early 19th-century England), but the earliest Valentine’s Day love poem comes from none other than the first great English author, Geoffrey Chaucer, who wrote in the second half of the 14th-century.
Chaucer’s most famous work is The Canterbury Tales, an enormous collection of linked stories in poetry and prose. But his 700-line poem “Parlement of Foules” has the special distinction of being the first surviving record of a connection between Valentine’s Day and romantic love. Chaucer probably composed the poem in 1381–82. At the time, he was a member of the court of King Richard II, holding an important bureaucratic position in London. The date suggests that Chaucer wrote “Parelment of Foules” to honor the first anniversary of the engagement of the English king to Princess Anne of Bohemia.
The poem follows the dream of the narrator, where he walks through Venus’s temple and discovers a meeting of birds where they all choose their mates. This is where the mention of St. Valentine’s Day appears (English modernized):
For this was on St. Valentine’s Day,
When every bird cometh there to choose his mate.
The poem also contains a familiar Valentine’s image, Cupid with his arrows:
Under a tree, beside a well, I saw
Cupid our lord his arrows forge and file;
And at his feet his bow already lay.
When Chaucer mentions St. Valentine’s Day, is he referring specifically to February 14th? Late winter isn’t a time when birds in England would mate. However, the date for the start of spring—when some birds would have started nesting in England—was on February 23rd in the calendars of the time, certainly close enough for Chaucer to take poetic license and nudge it a bit to match with Valentine’s Day.
Love birds remain a popular symbol of Valentine’s Day even now, and for this we can thank Chaucer. In fact, he may very well have invented the link between love and Valentine’s Day, although we will probably never know for certain.
Whoever started these traditions, all of us here at BZ Dependable Plumbing & Heating, Inc. hope you have a wonderful February 14th!
A good boiler with a record of regular maintenance and repairs can outlast almost any other heating system, and will often outlast many other appliances in a home, like ovens, stoves, and refrigerators. This is a reason boilers remain popular for home heating to this day, even with so many other options.
However, you should know when the time has come to take the old workhouse out to pasture. It won’t always be obvious that you should replace a boiler; frequently, a unit will appear to be working fine into its advanced years… but there are still some good reasons for you to replace it with a new model.
BZ Dependable Plumbing & Heating, Inc. has installed boilers for years, so when you are ready for an upgrade to your heating in Westwood, NJ, call our capable, skilled technicians.
Reasons for replacing that older boiler:
- It is losing efficiency: There’s a difference between “working” and “working well.” Look over your heating bills for the past few years; if you notice an increase that isn’t due to malfunctions or rises in fuel prices, it probably means your boiler is losing efficiency because of age. Replacing the system now will mean you will begin saving money immediately, which will make up for installation costs.
- To avoid an abrupt breakdown: We are in the middle of a tough winter right now. The last thing you want to happen is for your heating system to break down on a one of the coldest day. With an aging boiler, you have little assurance that it will make it through to spring. If you schedule installation during a warm spell, or when you can plan to temporarily vacate the house, you’ll have greater peace of mind about the cold days ahead.
- To take advantage of new technology: Even if your old boiler is maintaining its standard efficiency level, enough time has passed for new boiler technology to overtake it in efficiency. Many modern boilers score AFUE ratings above 90%, where older boilers were usually in the lower 80s. Special high-efficiency boilers score even higher. The positive change in your heating bill can be immense.
Consult with Your Local Heating Experts
Call BZ Dependable Plumbing & Heating, Inc. for a consultation about your current boiler. Our experts in heating in Westwood, NJ can diagnose your boiler and provide suggestions about replacements. If it is time for a new boiler, let our technicians help you pick a model, and then you can take it easy while they provide a fast and effective installation.
Don’t risk a breakdown this winter! Call BZ Dependable Plumbing & Heating, Inc.