Because most of the plumbing in a house is hidden from sight—even the pipes under sinks are usually shut behind cabinet doors—it can be difficult at first to detect when leaks start, especially if they are small, like pinhole leaks. But no leak is “too small” to fix; the accumulation of water from even the tiniest drip from a loose connector can destroy drywall and lead to the growth of mold and mildew.
So how can you tell you have a leak? There are a number of signs you can look for to tell you. After that, you’ll have to call in a plumber who can do professional leak detection. A skilled plumber with the right equipment can narrow down where the leaks are occurring and take care of the necessary repairs.
BZ Dependable Plumbing & Heating, Inc. offers excellent services for leak detection in Fort Lee, NJ.
Warning Signs of Leaks
- Discolored stains on walls and ceilings: If you notice brown or rust-colored stains appearing on your walls or ceilings, it usually means a nearby pipe has started to leak. Check for other damp spots along the wall.
- Warped floorboards: As water begins to seep into wooden floors, the wood will warp and buckle. If you start to notice floorboards that don’t fit together well, or lumps under the carpet where the floor has started to rise, you need to call for a plumber right away.
- Mold and mildew: Any indication of the growth of mold or mildew in corners or between boards means there is an increase in humidity, probably from leaking pipes.
- Water bill increases: Even smaller leaks will accumulate into a large waste of water, and this will show up on your utility bills. If you cannot account for an abrupt rise in your bills because of an increased use of water, you should investigate the possibility of leaking.
Professional Leak Detection
Plumbers who look for leaks come equipped with devices that can locate areas of high pressure and pinpoint minute sounds. This means they can seal pipe breaks without causing additional damage to building materials.
If you think you have problems in your plumbing from breaches, corrosion, loose connections, or anything else that can cause leaking, contact BZ Dependable Plumbing & Heating, Inc. right away. When it comes to leak detection in Fort Lee, NJ, we can handle all of all your problems.
Posted in Plumbing
| Comments Off on SIGNS YOU HAVE A LEAK
*BZ Dependable Plumbing & Heating Inc. no longer offers radiant heating services. Check out our other heating services to find the perfect fit for your heating needs.
Here in Westwood, NJ, there are many different types of heating systems that people use in their homes. This includes furnaces, heat pumps, geothermal systems, and radiant heating: the last of which is an innovative and surprisingly simple means of keeping warm. If you’re looking into replacing an existing heating system or installing an entirely new one and you want to examine alternatives to the usual model, a radiant heating system may be just what you need.
Here are 3 things you should know about radiant heating:
- It generates heat from the floor. Radiant heating systems rely on a series of tubes and reflective panels, placed beneath the floorboards of your home. They warm the room directly through your feet or furnishings by running hot water through the tubes and letting the panels transfer the heat directly. This can involve a fair amount of disruption during the initial installation, though once installed, it provides even and consistent heating.
- It doesn’t involve any forced air. Radiant heating doesn’t rely on a fan or blow to transfer heat through the air the way a traditional furnace does. Heat moves directly into the objects through the radiant heat in the floor, which means there are no breezes, drafts or cold spots to contend with. The system is also very quiet, and doesn’t spread dust through your home, which can be a great boon for family members suffering from allergies.
- It’s efficient. Because it doesn’t lose energy by using air ducts, radiant heating systems use much less energy than traditional furnaces. This can make a great deal of difference in your monthly budgets and over time you can save enough to offset the cost of installation.
The things you should know about radiant heating will not only help you make an informed choice with a new heating system, but will prepare you for the benefits that this kind of system can provide. In Westwood, NJ, heating systems of this sort can be installed by the experts at BZ Dependable Plumbing & Heating, Inc. We can discuss your options with you and perform your installation quickly and effectively. Give us a call today to get started!
Posted in Heating
| Comments Off on 3 THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT RADIANT HEATING
Leaks are one of the most persistent, and difficult to locate, troubles that can afflict your home’s plumbing. Leaks as small as pinholes can cause serious problems for pipes and building material, leading to elevated water bills, reduced water pressure, mildew growth, and structural damage.
Locating a leak is often more difficult than fixing it, and to help you with this job you will need a trained, experienced plumber with the necessary equipment to zero in on where leaks are occurring behind walls and under floors.
For excellent leak detection in Tenafly, NJ, look to BZ Dependable Plumbing & Heating, Inc. and our certified professional plumbers.
The tools of leak detection
Sometimes plumbers can locate leaks visually through clues, such as cracks, damp spots on walls, floorboard warping, or spots of mildew. The majority of the time, however, they need to use listening equipment that can penetrate through material such as wood and stone to pick up the tiniest sounds of dripping water or changes in water pressure. With the right equipment and the skills to use it, a plumber can pinpoint a leak to a tiny area so that the minimal amount of digging, drilling, or disruption is necessary to access the leak and fix it.
Another tool that assists with leak detection is infrared sensors, which can pick up excess moisture in hidden areas. Plumbers also use video pipe inspection equipment—miniature cameras mounted on long, flexible fiber-optic cables—to look down into pipes where they suspect there may be leaks.
The combination of listening equipment, infrared sensors, and video pipe inspection cameras allows skilled plumbers to not only find leaks with precision, but to use the data to deduce the reason the leaking started. Fixing a leak is also about fixing what caused it in the first place.
Trust to professionals in leak detection
Consumers can purchase some high-end leak detection equipment through online retailers. However, the tools come with a large price tag and require special training to use and interpret their readings. But even if you could find these leaks on your own, the work needed to expose the leak and fix it is not the work for a hobbyist. Make the job easy for you and your plumbing: call up certified professional plumbers who have the right tools.
BZ Dependable Plumbing & Heating, Inc. has a staff of plumbers to help you with leak detection in Tenafly, NJ. Let us stop those leaks in your home’s plumbing before they turn into major problems.
Posted in Plumbing
| Comments Off on HOW PLUMBERS DO LEAK DETECTION