10 FACTS YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT THANKSGIVING
November 27, 2014
Thanksgiving has been celebrated as an official holiday in the United States for over 150 years, so you may think you understand all there is to know about this family feast. Most of us have heard the story of the pilgrims’ first Thanksgiving in 1621 after arriving in North America on the Mayflower. But did you know that only about half of the people on this ship were actually pilgrims? This fact is one of ten things that may actually surprise you about the Thanksgiving tradition!
- Although we often consider Thanksgiving a holiday unique to the United States, many other countries and cultures celebrate their own set of harvest-time and thanksgiving traditions. In Korea, Chu-Sok (or “fall evening”) is put on in remembrance of forefathers on August 15th of every year. Brazil celebrates a contemporary version of the U.S. holiday. Chinese, Roman, and Jewish cultures all have a history of harvest celebrations as well.
- President Harry S. Truman began the tradition of a ceremony held before Thanksgiving during which the president receives a turkey. George H.W. Bush was the first to pardon the turkey instead of eating it.
- In Minnesota alone, farmers raise over 40 million turkeys a year. In fact, U.S. farmers produce about one turkey for every one person in the country.
- According to the New England Journal of Medicine, the average American will gain about one to two pounds every year during the holiday season.
- On the other hand, turkey is naturally high in protein and has been known to support and boost immune systems to protect against illness and speed up healing. So feast on!
- Abraham Lincoln issued a “Thanksgiving Proclamation” in 1863, but a woman named Sarah Josepha Hale can be credited with the idea. While Thanksgiving had been celebrated at different times of year in many areas of the U.S. for years, it was Hale, prominent magazine editor and author of the rhyme “Mary Had a Little Lamb,” who urged Lincoln to finally establish the national event.
- President Franklin D Roosevelt once tried to change the date of Thanksgiving to the second-to-last Thursday of the month in order to extend the holiday shopping season and boost the economy.
- Only about half of the people on the Mayflower were what we would consider today as “Pilgrims.” The other (approximately) 50 people were simply trying to find a way over to the New World.
- Gobble, gobble! Click, click? While male turkeys make a gobbling noise, females (hens) do not; it’s often described as a clicking.
- Even though we celebrate Thanksgiving on the last Thursday of November, the month of June has been declared National Turkey Lovers’ Month by the National Turkey Federation so you can continue the celebration in the summer as well!
From our family here at B.Z. Dependable, we’d like to wish you and yours a very Happy Thanksgiving!
Posted in Happy Holidays
| Comments Off on 10 FACTS YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT THANKSGIVING
November 17, 2014
If your commercial heating system runs into trouble, you’ll certainly hear about it from the employees, clients, tenants, or customers in the building. A broken heater may make strange noises, reduce or stop heat from entering the building, or cause uneven heating throughout the building. In any case, you’re likely to get complaints, at which point it’s time to call a specialist.
You may think that you can contact any heating repair technician for your commercial heating needs. However, if you don’t call on specialists for installation, you may find yourself with an amateur repair job that simply does not do the trick. Here are some of the reasons you should only count on experts with experience in large commercial heating systems for your next repair need.
Commercial Heating Systems Are Not Like Residential Units
It may seem as though a heating technician is trained in all different types of heating systems. In reality, contractors that do not distribute or regularly work with commercial units may not be familiar with the powerful components of a large commercial unit. A commercial heating system may be packaged in a single cabinet with your air conditioning system and/or you may have a complicated zone control system or piping system, in the case of commercial boilers, wall of which don’t always resemble other types of systems. Installation differs greatly from the more straightforward installation and zoning needs of a residential unit.
If your technician is unfamiliar with these factors they may glaze over an important repair need. An inexperienced technician could incorrectly assume that one component of the heater is in jeopardy when there is actually an issue with several of the parts. Or they may not perform a full inspection of the unit to check for further damages that may have resulted from the initial repair need.
An inexperienced technician will also take longer to locate damaged components, so your building may be out of commission for a long time before repairs are completed.
Call on specialists like the friendly technicians at BZ Dependable Plumbing & Heating, Inc. for all of your Bergen County commercial heating repair needs.
Posted in Heating
| Comments Off on WHY DO I NEED A SPECIALIST FOR COMMERCIAL HEATING REPAIR?
November 10, 2014
One the very worst things you can do for your home’s drains is to pour store-bought “drain cleaners” into them. These bottles contain highly caustic chemicals that can cause extensive damage to drainpipes, and they also create toxic fumes that can hurt your eyes. When you need drain cleaning, you should only call for professionals to handle the service.
At BZ Dependable Plumbing & Heating, Inc., one of the tools that we use for thorough drain cleaning is BioSmart by Drain Maid. This is a natural product that provides fantastic drain cleaning power without any of the dangers connected to the chemical drain cleaners you find in stores. Contact us today to arrange for BioSmart drain treatment in Hillsdale, NJ.
Why you should schedule BioSmart drain treatment from professionals
BioSmart works through a natural process: the power of bacteria to consume grease, oil, and other organic pollutants that develop inside drains. This is a standard part of sewage treatment plants, and now you can put it to use in your home. BioSmart contains a patented non-toxic solution with a mixture of enzymes and bacteria that will eat away at the build-up inside drainpipes, and eliminate odors as well. Store-bought chemical treatments for drains tend to destroy the natural, healthy bacteria inside drains, but BioSmart returns this helpful bacteria so that even after the treatment is completed, your drains will continue to have protection against further organic build-up. With a BioSmart treatment, you can expect clog-free drains for the next year.
However, you still need professionals to handle this service, and not just any professionals: not all plumbers offer drain cleaning services using the BioSmart Drain Maid treatment. You also do not want to rely on BioSmart alone for comprehensive drain cleaning. Call on a full-service plumbing company that will use the best equipment available to give you a thorough drain cleaning that will keep your plumbing healthy and as free from repair needs as possible.
Call the team at BZ Dependable Plumbing & Heating, Inc. and ask about our services for the BioSmart drain treatment in Hillsdale, NJ and throughout Bergen County.
Posted in Drain and Sewer
| Comments Off on HOW YOU BENEFIT FROM CHOOSING PROFESSIONALS FOR BIOSMART DRAIN TREATMENT
November 3, 2014
Choosing a new heating system can be the perfect opportunity to find an efficient, environmentally-friendly unit that will last for years to come with few repairs. Choosing the right system doesn’t have to be a stressful experience as long as you work with a licensed contractor who can explain your options and talk you through the installation process. At BZ Dependable Plumbing & Heating, Inc. we want to help you find the right system for new heating installation with this guide to a few of the units we offer for heating system installation in Fort Lee.
Replace an Oil Furnace with a Gas Furnace
If you currently own an oil furnace, you may not have the most efficient system possible. Oil tanks take up a lot of room and drain the environment of its natural resources. If you switch to a gas furnace, you will no longer have to worry about fuel deliveries because natural gas is pumped directly into your home. Consider oil to gas conversion for a greener and more convenient energy choice.
Radiant Floor Heating Installation
*BZ Dependable Plumbing & Heating Inc. no longer offers radiant heating services. Check out our other heating services to find the perfect fit for your heating needs.
Radiant floor heating is one of the most comfortable ways to get heating in your home. This system requires a boiler tank to heat up water and pump it into a set of pipes installed underneath the floorboards. This keeps the floor heated, so you can feel its warmth as soon as you roll out of bed in the morning. Radiant floor installations distribute heat evenly throughout a room, allowing you to feel heat in any area of the house, not just near a vent as with forced-air heating systems.
Steam Boiler Installation
Instead of a hot water boiler, you may even consider a steam boiler. Hot water boilers do not actually boil water, as the name implies, but steam boilers do, raising the temperature of the water to about 140-160 degrees Fahrenheit to create steam, which then moves to an endpoint such as a radiator or baseboard or through the radiant floor heating piping. These are particularly effective in climates where the temperatures drop to below freezing, while other boilers begin to struggle at this point.
Call BZ Dependable Plumbing & Heating, Inc. for professional heating system installation in Fort Lee and the surrounding areas.
Posted in Heating
| Comments Off on CHOOSING THE RIGHT SYSTEM FOR HEATING INSTALLATION IN FORT LEE