SCALING AND YOUR WATER HEATER: WHAT TO KNOW
December 11, 2017
One of the most common problems to afflict water heaters is also one of the most misunderstood. Scaling is an issue that stems from hard water, when the water supply has an excess of minerals like calcium and magnesium. Deposits build up in pipes and fixtures, but their effect is most noticeable in water heaters and boilers.
Learn more about this common issue in the guide below. Be sure to have your water heater flushed regularly, and call our team for repairs and more information.
Posted in Water Heaters
| Comments Off on SCALING AND YOUR WATER HEATER: WHAT TO KNOW
February 5, 2015
Modern plumbing systems are necessary for any home or business to function. And while they’re designed to last a number of years, unfortunately, at some time or another, even the best laid pipes can fail. When this happens to you, you’ll need to schedule replacement services for parts of pipes or possibly for your entire plumbing system. But how do you know when it’s time?
For the most part, when your New Milford plumbing system is running into trouble, you should call on an expert to best determine the next course of action.
Signs to look out for
There are a few things you may want to look out for when you are trying to determine whether your pipes need replacement. In general, however, you should trust a plumbing professional to inspect the pipes and make the final decision with you.
- Low water pressure – If the water pressure in your home is not up to your standards, it may be due to leaks and holes throughout the water supply pipes. When leaks begin to affect the water pressure in your home noticeably, it’s usually a sign that there are larger leaks along the pipes or perhaps that there are several smaller leaks. In either case, it may be due to corrosion, a problem that will require immediate repiping services.
- Material – You may need to replace pipes even if they don’t appear to be running into trouble if they are made from galvanized steel. Galvanized steel is a material that was retired for plumbing systems decades ago because of their proclivity towards rust and corrosion. Even if you’ve never had a problem before, there’s still a chance that your pipes may run into trouble, so you may need to replace now to prevent the chances of a leak later on.
- Old age – The age of your home may give you some indication as to the age of your pipes if you’re unsure. Pipes can last several decades, but only if they’re installed soundly, and if they receive proper maintenance from a trained professional. Usually, however, about 40-60 years means it’s time for your pipes to retire.
Call BZ Dependable Plumbing & Heating, Inc. when you need to find out whether your pipes can be salvaged or if replacement is a better option. Call us today to speak with honest, reliable experts about your plumbing in New Milford.
At BZ Dependable Plumbing & Heating, Inc., we use the latest technology to inspect your plumbing, and we will give you an honest assessment of the state of your pipes.
Posted in Plumbing
| Comments Off on DO MY PIPES NEED REPLACING?
July 7, 2014
Wastewater drainage is one of the two halves of the plumbing system in your house. The other is the pipes that bring fresh water from the municipal system into your home and to the various taps and appliances that use it. The drain lines in your house are just as important, since they keep your house clean and hygienic.
There are two situations where you may need new drain installation in New Milford, NJ. The first is for new appliances and fixtures in your home that require drainage, such as a dishwasher in an expanded kitchen or a new bathroom but in as part of your remodeling. The second is when a damaged or corroded drain needs replacement; this is more common for older homes with galvanized steel plumbing that suffers from corrosion.
Whatever the reason you need drain installation, only rely on plumbers with experience and training to take on the task. BZ Dependable Plumbing & Heating, Inc. is 100% committed to customer service, and we will arrive on time ready to do whatever work is necessary to keep your home plumbing at its best. Contact us today to set up an appointment.
What does drain installation involve?
First, it involves calling for professional plumbers; this is not a DIY adventure, since the lastthing you want with your drainage is to have it backup!
The drain installers will make plans to keep your plumbing up to code (because drains eventually empty into a municipal sewer line, the drainage in your house must meet local code requirements set by the utility company). The plumbers must determine flow rates based on variables like water pressure and the amount of water that will go down the drain. This will help them estimate the proper-sized line to use. If the plumbers are replacing an older line, they will check if perhaps a large line should be used.
The most difficult part of installation involves the excavation necessary to remove the old pipe (if this is a replacement job) and install the new one. The contractors will carefully plan for this stage so that your home will experience as little interruption to water flow as possible, and so that the installers can restore the flooring material with as little evidence as possible they were ever there.
Drain installation is an extensive project, and you must make certain that your home receives the best job possible so you will have effective wastewater removal and remain up to code.
Contact BZ Dependable Plumbing & Heating, Inc. and let our comprehensive services for sewer lines and drain installation in New Milford, NJ handle your home plumbing needs.
Posted in Plumbing
| Comments Off on WHAT’S INVOLVED IN DRAIN INSTALLATION?
April 8, 2013
While you may have already begun your spring cleaning around the house, you may not have thought about your sump pump. Because it’s often used as a kind of “insurance appliance” against occasional flooding or seasonal increases in rainfall, there are extended periods when it is not in use. As with any mechanical system, it’s important that your sump pump receive routine maintenance. It needs professional attention at least once a year so that you know it’s there when you need it most. In this post, we’d like to run you through some of our spring sump pump tips. For Fort Lee, NJ plumbing services, call BZ Dependable today!
Here are some things necessary for sump pump maintenance:
- Check power: Your sump pump relies on a steady stream of electric current, although it may also be equipped with a battery backup. Make sure that the pump has not become disconnected from its GFCI outlet that the cord is in good shape. If there’s a battery, replace it every once in a while so that you’re prepared in the event that your power goes out during a flood.
- Test: If your sump pump is out of shape, then put it to work. Dumping some water into the sump pit is a great way to ensure that your unit still works properly. A more comprehensive test should be carried out by a professional, who will perform a thorough inspection and cleaning of all its various components.
- Upright: Making sure that your sump pump stands upright, ready for action, is an essential part of your sump pump’s operation. If it has fallen, the float arm will not adequately sense the encroaching water levels.
- Check the outlet pipes: As you probably know, your sump pump has to pump water outside your home and not just into a drain or sewer. The integrity of your outlet pipe is critical to the sump pump’s performance. By regularly checking and cleaning the outlet system, you can ensure excellent and reliable water removal.
Don’t wait until the next basement flooding to see if your sump pump works. Schedule sump pump maintenance today. For Fort Lee, NJ plumbing services, call the experts at BZ Dependable today!
Posted in Plumbing
| Comments Off on FORT LEE, NJ PLUMBING: SPRING SUMP PUMP TIPS
March 4, 2013
Many homeowners are curious about adding a water treatment system to their home, but often don’t know where to start. BZ Dependable provides comprehensive water treatment installation and repair in Tenafly, NJ. We offer a range of water treatment options, but we recommend the Krystal Klear water filtration system. We’ve compiled a list of FAQs you may find useful as you start thinking about your water treatment needs. For more information or to schedule a consultation with your Tenafly, NJ water treatment expert, call BZ Dependable today.
- Why is water treatment important? Water treatment is important for a wide variety of reasons. Many customers enjoy the peace of mind knowing that they’ll be covered in the event of a contamination. Others install water treatment systems because they wanted to improve the taste of their tap water. Having clean water can also improve the function of your soaps and might be able to prevent limescale build-up inside your appliances.
- Which water treatment is best for me? The type of water treatment system that’s best for you often depends on where you live and where you get your water from. In rural settings with wells, your water might be contaminated by unwanted minerals. In that case you’ll need a comprehensive system like Krystal Klear. If you get your water from a utility company you likely won’t have those types of contaminants but you might have hard water in your home. In that case a water softening system might be what you need. The Krystal Klear system electronically descales your water to ensure that the high mineral content doesn’t damage your plumbing.
- How does the Krystal Klear system work? The Krystal Klear system works not only by filtering out contaminants but by electronically altering the chemical composition of the water. This ensures a comprehensive filtration process that you can rely on.
- What are the benefits of Krystal Klear? The benefits of Krystal Klear water treatment are extensive. Not only will you enjoy clean, purified water throughout your home, but you may also improve the durability of your plumbing. Krystal Klear is septic friendly, requires no maintenance and prevents biological contamination. What could be better?
To learn more about the water treatment options we offer, call BZ Dependable today. We can work with you to figure out which water filtration system best fits your needs, taking into consideration the plumbing layout of your home as well as your budget.
Posted in Plumbing
| Comments Off on TENAFLY, NJ WATER TREATMENT FAQS
February 18, 2013
Do you have lime scale on your faucets or sinks? Notice that your soap does not seem to produce suds? You may have “hard water,” which is simply water with high mineral content. In general, it is not believed to pose serious health risks, but it can cause significant damage to your Bergen County, NJ home’s plumbing system. Water filtration may be a solution for your hard water problem. Call BZ Dependable today for more information.
Hard water is common: more than 85% of homes in the US have it. The buildup of calcium and magnesium bi-carbonate on the insides of your pipes and fittings can cause system blockages, malfunctions, and imbalanced pressure. But there are solutions, one of which is a water filtration system. Water filtration systems filter the minerals out of your water. There are countertop filtration systems that attach directly to the faucet or tap and remove the particles from your drinking water. However, to avoid hard water damage to your plumbing system, you will need a more comprehensive full filtration system, which filters the water before it reaches the tap. One such method is an electronic descaler, which follows up on the water filtration process and changes the chemical composition of the water. The Krystal Klear system uses high frequency electronic pulses to change the bi-carbonate nature of the calcium and magnesium particles into a carbonate one.
Filtering and descaling hard water not only benefits your plumbing, but also your everyday life. Filtered water tastes better, and it can also help your hair and skin by removing minerals which can make them look dull and lifeless. If you have questions about how water filtration and the Krystal Klear system can benefit your home and lifestyle, get in touch with a Bergen County, NJ water filtration expert. Call BZ Dependable today.
Posted in Plumbing
| Comments Off on HOW HARD WATER CAN DAMAGE YOUR BERGEN COUNTY, NJ PLUMBING SYSTEM
January 28, 2013
At BZ Dependable, we get many questions from our Fort Lee, NJ customers about boilers. One of the more common questions is how to know when it is time to replace a boiler. The best thing to do is to consult with a professional – we can inspect your current boiler system and give you an honest assessment of its condition. We’ll also test the efficiency so you know how effectively your current system is heating your home.
There are some factors to consider when determining whether or not a boiler replacement is the most cost-effective solution for you.
Having your boiler tested by one of our heating technicians is a great way to get started in the replacement process. If your current boiler is not working efficiently, you may want to replace it with a new high-efficiency model that has a higher efficiency rating. You could also have other issues, such as poor insulation or sealing, that are affecting overall home efficiency.
Many older homes were not properly insulated when they were built. Before you install a new high-efficiency boiler, you may need to retrofit other components or add insulation. Not doing these things first will not allow you to get the most energy savings from a new boiler.
You may also want to consider switching from oil to natural gas, and the technicians at BZ Dependable can certainly help you out with that. One of the main benefits of switching to a natural–gas powered boiler is that gas is a more cost-effective fuel source. Another added benefit is that you will no longer have to store a large tank for the oil or have it delivered, which also frees up space in your basement. With natural gas, the fuel for your new boiler will be piped directly into your home. Lastly, making the shift to natural gas helps reduce use of foreign oil reserves and reduces your carbon footprint while also saving you money!
Call the Fort Lee, NJ heating experts at BZ dependable for all your boiler needs!
Posted in Heating
| Comments Off on FORT LEE, NJ HEATING FAQ: HOW TO KNOW WHEN TO REPLACE A BOILER
December 17, 2012
Boilers have been an extremely popular home heating method for a long time, and with very good cause. They are extremely durable and dependable, and they provide efficient, effective and even heating throughout a building. They also offer the benefit of operating on a variety of different fuel sources. Whereas coal was once a popular choice, now too oil is fading in popularity. Many areas even offer incentives for making the switch from oil to natural gas. If you are considering a natural gas conversion in your Fort Lee, NJ home consider this information about natural gas boilers from the home heating experts at BZ Dependable Plumbing & Heating Inc..
One benefit of converting to natural gas is that natural gas is a largely domestic product. This helps reduce reliance on foreign oil supplies. It also means that natural gas is generally a cheaper fuel source to purchase. Of course newer gas-model boilers are also more efficient than the old oil-burning one you may have in your basement.
Another nice perk of using a natural gas burner is that the fuel source is piped directly into your home. There is no chance that you may run out of fuel for your boiler this way. You also do not need to schedule a delivery or pay to have that fuel brought to you.
Gas boilers are a very environmentally friendly heating source as well. They produce less carbon dioxide than oil or coal-burning models and do not require the transfer of a fuel from far distance sources. Why not consider a cleaner burning, more efficient and affordable heating option in your home.
For more information about how the use of a natural gas boiler in Fort Lee, NJ can benefit you, contact BZ Dependable Plumbing & Heating Inc.. We are always happy to answer any questions that you may have. We look forward to helping you find the home heating option best suited for you.
Posted in Heating
| Comments Off on BENEFITS OF A NATURAL GAS BOILER IN FORT LEE, NJ
November 5, 2012
Oil used to be a very common home heating system fuel source. Coal was also, for that matter. Things change as time passes on, though, and home heating fuel sources are no exception. Natural gas has become the dominant fuel source for heating homes in this country, and with good reason. There are a lot of factors to consider when you are considering a conversion to natural gas, and it is important to understand these factors as fully as possible in order to make the right decisions about how to heat your home in Teaneck. BZ Dependable has gathered some information for you to review that should help you decide if a natural gas conversion is right for you. Consider the reasons you may want to switch to natural gas and the potential benefits that this fuel source may offer to your home. If you decide that a natural gas conversion is the way to go or if you simply need more information, call the home heating professionals at BZ Dependable.
Coal has all but disappeared as a home heating option, as it is not very convenient and not a very clean fuel option. Oil is more common, but when it comes to clean burning and energy efficiency it is difficult to argue against natural gas. It produces less pollution and gives you more heating power for you money.
Many oil furnaces are fairly old, as they are certainly built to last, but even newer models cannot match the efficiency of natural gas furnaces. High efficiency model natural gas furnaces allow you to lose almost no energy in the heating process. Plus, with an oil or propane tank you must rely on the delivery of your fuel source by a third party. When you heat your home with natural gas a main gas line pipes the fuel source directly into your home. You do not need to have it delivered and there is no chance that you may run out of it. The fact that natural gas is a predominantly domestic fuel source is a big selling point as well.
The cost of converting your home to natural gas may dissuade some people from investing in a conversion. However, even if your home does not have a preexisting gas piping system the potential savings of heating your home with natural gas can offset that cost. When you are a homeowner it is important to think about these decisions with an eye on the long term. If you live in an area where natural gas lines are not accessible you may want to look elsewhere for a fuel source. However, if natural gas is accessible to you in your Teaneck home it is hard to argue against a professional natural gas conversion from the heating experts at BZ Dependable.
Posted in Heating
| Comments Off on TEANECK OIL TO GAS CONVERSION GUIDE: FACTORS TO CONSIDER WHEN CONVERTING TO NATURAL GAS
April 16, 2012
Remodeling your New Jersey bathroom plumbing can be a great way to not only make it look better and more inviting, but also make it more environmentally friendly, while giving the resale value of the whole house an upgrade.
As with any big home project, there are some caveats and tips to doing it right. Here are some of those tips to consider before diving right in:
- Before starting on your bathroom or any remodeling project, work out a budget first. Establish what you want it to look like and how much you have to spend, then choose the options that fit into that framework. There are few things worse than having a bathroom left unfinished because you ran out of money halfway through the job.
- Remodeling is a great opportunity to assess the ventilation in your bathroom and upgrade it if necessary. Proper ventilation improves air quality and prevents mold growth and water damage, so an upgrade in equipment can be an investment that is well worth the expense.
- As tempting as it may be to make wholesale, sweeping changes to everything in your existing bathroom, it will be more difficult if you move plumbing around. It can extend the time it takes for the job to be done. Is it really worth an extra week of work to have the tub against another wall?
Keep those tips in mind as you consider that bathroom remodeling job, and you are likely to have the whole experience work out much more pleasantly for you.
If you have any questions, talk to the New Jersey bathroom remodeling experts, BZ Dependable Plumbing & Heating!
Posted in Services
| Comments Off on THINGS TO REMEMBER WHEN REMODELING YOUR NEW JERSEY BATHROOM