Winter snow has finally give way to spring rains, and here in the New Jersey area, that means spring renovation and cleaning is underway in many households. In between the dusting, vacuuming and checking on various household appliances, take time to give your water heater a look. Water heaters do their jobs quietly and without fuss, and since they’re often located in out-of-the-way locations like the basement or garage. But that can make it very hard to notice signs of trouble, and by the time symptoms show up, it could very well be too late. Spring cleaning makes an excellent opportunity to give your water heater a close look and see if it needs some attention.
CHECK THE STATE OF YOUR WATER HEATER THIS SPRING
Your entire plumbing system works hard every single day, and it needs to be in good condition in order for you to be able to carry out many of your necessary tasks like showering and cleaning your home. But how can you be sure that your pipes are working well? If you need a plumber in Dumont, NJ, make sure that you call the friendly experts at BZ Dependable. Here are a few easy ways that you can help make sure that your home’s plumbing system works efficiently and that it lasts for as long as possible.
- Get regular maintenance – Probably the best way for you to ensure that your pipes and plumbing are in good condition is to have them inspected regularly by a professional. During regular maintenance visit, your Dumont, NJ plumber will look for any signs of leaks, cracks and clogs and then repair them before they can cause further issues. Not only will this help you rest easy that your pipes are in good shape, but it will also help them last longer and work better.
- Stop clogs before they start – There are a few things that you homeowners should know in order to treat their pipes well. In particular, your kitchen sink needs to be protected because of how much solid food waste it handles every day. Make sure that you don’t put any animal bones, fruit pits, melted fat and grease down your kitchen sink as these things can cause clogs.
- Get a descaler – If your home has hard water it means that there are excess minerals in it like calcium and magnesium. These minerals can get deposited in your home’s pipes and cause them to clog up. A descaling or water treatment system can help remove those minerals so that your pipes stay cleaner.
If you need a plumber in Dumont, NJ, just call the specialists at BZ Dependable.
Like most Bergen County homeowners, you’re probably asking yourself why you need water filtration – what exactly happens to your water that makes it necessary to install an entire new system in your home to keep it clean? There are a few things that might be an issue here and your specific circumstances will determine which affects you the most.
Common Water Contaminants
While most homes don’t suffer from all of the following, there is a good chance you will have at least some of these contaminants in your home:
This is only a partial list too – there are a number of other, more exotic substances that might be in your water. Now, this doesn’t mean your water suffers from all or even most of these problems. Many homes only have one or two contaminants and they may not be dangerous to your health.
But, here’s the issue – and the number one reason that most homes should have a water filtration system. Things change. While your home may not suffer from virus or sulfate infiltration now, it could later. Things happen to the water supply – pipes get old, things get into the water tables and chemical levels change at treatment plants.
The only way to combat these problems is to have a good water filtration system already in place. Specifically, a reverse osmosis system that can remove all of these contaminants through an advanced chemical process.
Testing Comes First
To make sure you have the right system in place to tackle your water contamination problems, make sure you first a Bergen County plumber to perform full water testing on your home’s drinking water. Because some of these contaminants must be treated with chemical infusions through pumps or special cartridges, it is important to know in advance what you’re up against.
For more information about having a water filtration system installed in your home, give BZ Dependable Plumbing & Heating a call today!
The BZ Dependable Diamond Club is a private membership service club that is limited to 22% of our clients. It isn’t available to everyone because we couldn’t possibly keep up with the world load. We are offering it only to people like you who really love your home and want to protect it from unexpected plumbing breakdowns or worse…water damage! The Diamond Club is plumbing security for your home!
What do you get for joining the Diamond Club for just $11.99 a month?
Once a year, a member of our expert plumbing team (A Certified Service Technician) will give your home a thorough inspection. This means a scheduled service and FREE plumbing system adjustment including all connected equipment. The complete list includes up to 100 different items, a $200 value alone!
No need to wait for appointments, when you join the Diamond Club you go to the top of the appointment book! As a member you will always go to the front of the line and to the top of our appointment book if you ever need additional plumbing service. You will also never be charged a trip charge!
One of the most frustrating plumbing issues any Hackensack homeowner will encounter is a clogged drain. Not only are clogged drains a nuisance, they are largely avoidable, so it becomes that much more frustrating when it happens since you know that you could have taken preventative measures long before the problem occurred. To help stop your drains from clogging in the future, here are some useful preventative tips:
- Set Cooking Grease Aside – Cooking grease is thick, viscous and clings to the sides of almost all types of pipes. So, instead of pouring it down your sink and hoping it clears out on its own, pour it into a coffee can and set it aside. There are a number of places where you can recycle old grease.
- Flush Garbage Disposals – When you use your garbage disposal, it is imperative that you flush cold water through the system at the same time. Without water to flush the food particles through the pipes, anything ground up in the disposal will become stuck and with the application of grease or other food particles can easily become a thick clog.
- Taking Care with Your Toilet – A toilet is not designed to flush anything that will technically fit down the hole. Even for paper products that seem to be flushable, take care in what goes into the toilet bowl. Paper towels, garbage, and wrappers should not be flushed or they are likely to cause clogs.
- Use Strainers – Install strainers on all of your sinks, including the ones in your bathroom. A simple strainer will catch excess bits of food, hair, and other grime that has a habit of falling down the drain and getting flushed along with the dishwater or during a shower.
With care, your drains will remain clog free and rarely require the services of a snake or a Hackensack plumber. However, if the clog refuses to budge or begins to backup, know when to call BZ Dependable Plumbing & Heating!