TENAFLY WATER HEATER GUIDE: THE ANODE ROD
January 15, 2015
Typically water and metal are not good combinations, but they are necessary for certain components like your home’s water heater. Rust is always a concern with water heaters which is why precautions are taken during manufacturing to help significantly reduce the chances of rust developing inside your water tank. One way manufacturers do this is by insulating the storage tank; another is by installing an anode rod. Anode rods are used for a number of things, but specific to water heaters, they are very important in curbing the development of rust inside your tank.
What Is an Anode Rod?
An anode rod, also known as sacrificial anode or sacrificial rod, is made of a highly active metal, usually magnesium or aluminum; the core of the anode rod is steel. The reason for the rod is made of highly active metals is that these metals attract the electrolytes that begin and are part of the corrosion process. By attracting these electrolytes, the other metal parts inside the tank can be prevented from developing rust.
Anodes screw into the top of the water tank and hang down. The number of anodes a tank will have depends on the type of tank it is and the warranty on the tank. Residential tanks typically come with either a 6- or 12-year warranty; a 6-year warranty means the storage tank has a single anode rod and a 12-year warranty means there are two anode rods. Commercial water heaters can have anywhere from one to five anode rods depending on size.
The average lifespan of an anode rod is typically between 6-8 years, but this can depend on a few factors:
- The quality of the water
- Amount tank is used
- Temperature of the stored water
- Quality of the storage tank
An increase of sodium can accelerate the corrosion of the anode rod, so it’s important to monitor any water softening.
Replacing Anode Rods
Anode rods can, and should, be replaced, but only by trained experts. Allowing a corroded anode rod to stay inside your water tank can put your water heater tank at risk for corrosion.
If you are concerned about the state of your water heater’s anode rod, call BZ Dependable Plumbing & Heating, Inc., today and schedule water heater repair for your Tenafly home.
Posted in Plumbing
| Comments Off on TENAFLY WATER HEATER GUIDE: THE ANODE ROD
October 27, 2014
Boilers have been around for a long time, making them the first whole-home heating systems. Today’s boilers are as updated as other heating systems, providing energy efficient heat and reliability. There are multiple reasons why the installation of a boiler in Tenafly is a good idea, but as with any whole-home system, it is highly recommended that you hire professionals. BZ Dependable Plumbing & Heating, Inc., technicians are experts of boiler systems, so if you need a new system, or repair to an existing one, call us today.
How a Boiler Heats
Boilers are part of a hydronic heating system, which means they use water to provide heat. The heat can come from hot water or steam created from boiling water. The most common fuels used are oil and natural gas, although propane and solid fuels can also be used. Air and the fuel mix together in the combustion box, where a controlled flame erupts. This flame warms the heat exchanger, which then heats the water. With a steam boiler, the steam is collected in a dome, which is released when it reaches a certain capacity; hot water is released at a certain temperature. Both steam and hot water are circulated through the pipes; hot water systems need circulating pumps to push the water through (pressure pushes the steam through). Heat can be released via:
- Baseboard heating
- Radiant floor heating
- Radiant wall or ceiling heating
Benefits of a Boiler System
Here are some benefits a boiler system can offer you:
- No circulating dust – boilers are closed systems, and the heat radiates, so there is no blowing dust as there can be with a forced air system.
- Easy zoning – the piping system of a boiler can be divided easily into zones.
- Quiet operation – boiler systems heat quietly; the only sound you’ll hear is when the water is being heated.
- Even heating – the heat from a hydronic system radiates rather than blows, which can feel very comfortable to homeowners.
Boilers are dependable, energy efficient and provide comfortable heating.
If you think you are ready for a boiler installation in Tenafly, call BZ Dependable Plumbing & Heating, Inc., today and schedule an appointment with one of our experts.
Posted in Heating
| Comments Off on WHY MANY HOMEOWNERS PREFER BOILERS TO OTHER HEATING SYSTEMS
September 8, 2014
If you’ve ever noticed white or yellow-green mineral deposits around the faucets of your home, you may have a plumbing problem known as “hard water.” Hard water refers to a high concentration of minerals, such as calcium and magnesium, which may enter your pipes through the municipal water supply. While this is rarely harmful to your health, this problem may eventually lead to the need for premature pipe replacement.
Hard water can cause several problems for homes. Besides unsightly buildups around the faucets and in sinks, these minerals prevent soap from lathering completely, which means it’s difficult to wash and clean properly and you may notice residue on your dishes or in your washing machine. Furthermore, your water may have a strange taste to it. But while these inconveniences may only be a minor annoyance, the biggest problem occurs within your pipes.
Think of the flaky white mineral deposits built up around your faucets, and imagine that this problem is occurring within your pipes. As layer upon layer of minerals develop along the insides, water cannot flow through the pipes as easily, leading to reduced water pressure. As your water supply is kept pressurized, the change in pressure within your plumbing system may cause water to leak through the pipes, leading to the need for pipe replacement in one or more areas of your plumbing system.
The best way to prevent hard water from damaging your pipes is with water softenerinstallation. A water softener is a device that is attached to your water line. As hard water flows through the tank, the minerals are replaced with sodium ions. If you want better tasting water that won’t damage your pipes, call a professional for water softener installation.
If you let plumbing issues go on for too long, the problem will only worsen. When you have problems with your plumbing, or if you would like to speak to a professional about pipe replacement in Tenafly, get in touch with BZ Dependable Plumbing & Heating, Inc.
Our technicians have the experience and equipment needed to locate problems in your pipes and provide quality pipe replacement that will last for decades. Give us a call today!
Posted in News & PR
| Comments Off on HOW CAN HARD WATER LEAD TO PIPE REPLACEMENT?
March 3, 2014
Leaks are one of the most persistent, and difficult to locate, troubles that can afflict your home’s plumbing. Leaks as small as pinholes can cause serious problems for pipes and building material, leading to elevated water bills, reduced water pressure, mildew growth, and structural damage.
Locating a leak is often more difficult than fixing it, and to help you with this job you will need a trained, experienced plumber with the necessary equipment to zero in on where leaks are occurring behind walls and under floors.
For excellent leak detection in Tenafly, NJ, look to BZ Dependable Plumbing & Heating, Inc. and our certified professional plumbers.
The tools of leak detection
Sometimes plumbers can locate leaks visually through clues, such as cracks, damp spots on walls, floorboard warping, or spots of mildew. The majority of the time, however, they need to use listening equipment that can penetrate through material such as wood and stone to pick up the tiniest sounds of dripping water or changes in water pressure. With the right equipment and the skills to use it, a plumber can pinpoint a leak to a tiny area so that the minimal amount of digging, drilling, or disruption is necessary to access the leak and fix it.
Another tool that assists with leak detection is infrared sensors, which can pick up excess moisture in hidden areas. Plumbers also use video pipe inspection equipment—miniature cameras mounted on long, flexible fiber-optic cables—to look down into pipes where they suspect there may be leaks.
The combination of listening equipment, infrared sensors, and video pipe inspection cameras allows skilled plumbers to not only find leaks with precision, but to use the data to deduce the reason the leaking started. Fixing a leak is also about fixing what caused it in the first place.
Trust to professionals in leak detection
Consumers can purchase some high-end leak detection equipment through online retailers. However, the tools come with a large price tag and require special training to use and interpret their readings. But even if you could find these leaks on your own, the work needed to expose the leak and fix it is not the work for a hobbyist. Make the job easy for you and your plumbing: call up certified professional plumbers who have the right tools.
BZ Dependable Plumbing & Heating, Inc. has a staff of plumbers to help you with leak detection in Tenafly, NJ. Let us stop those leaks in your home’s plumbing before they turn into major problems.
Posted in Plumbing
| Comments Off on HOW PLUMBERS DO LEAK DETECTION
January 28, 2014
Posted in Plumbing
| Comments Off on THE BENEFITS OF COPPER PIPES
January 6, 2014
Is your boiler an older model that burns oil to heat up the water in its tank? If so, you should give serious consideration to making the conversion from oil to natural gas. You might think that the process is too great a hassle. Although it is true that the conversion requires extensive and highly technical work, if you find the right company to take on the task, the job will go fast and with few problems. You’ll like the benefits so much that you will find it hard to believe you ever got along without natural gas powering your boiler.
Here are 3 good reasons you should schedule an oil-to-gas conversion with BZ Dependable Plumbing & Heating, Inc. You can rely on our services: we put “dependable” in our name for a reason!
Oil-to-Gas conversion benefits
- Save Money – Oil costs more than natural gas, and natural gas also burns more efficiently. This means that you will convert more of your supply of natural gas into heating power than you would a comparable amount of oil. How much will you save? The Federal Energy Information Administrations (EIA) looked into this and discovered through a study in 2011 that an average family using natural gas paid approximately $700 during a winter to heat their home, while a family using oil paid approximately $2,500! An oil-to-gas conversion will quickly pay for itself with this level of savings.
- Decreased environmental impact – Oil does not burn very cleanly; natural gas, on the other hand, is one of the cleanest burning of all fuels, creating few toxic or environmentally damaging emissions.
- Greater convenience – Have you ever run out of your supply of oil in your home at a bad time? With natural gas, you never have to worry about running out of fuel. Natural gas is piped directly into your home from a municipal supply. With oil, you have to wait for delivery—and forgetting to schedule delivery can result in a few very cold days.
Unfortunately, oil-to-gas conversion isn’t possible everywhere; you need to have a nearby natural gas pipeline, and not every location has access to this.
Call BZ Dependable Plumbing & Heating, Inc. to start your conversion to the better, cleaner, more economical gas power for your boiler in Tenafly, NJ.
Posted in Heating
| Comments Off on 3 REASONS TO SCHEDULE OIL TO GAS CONVERSION FOR YOUR BOILER
September 9, 2013
Tenafly, NJ features homes both new and old, and each home has its own unique plumbing situation. A 100-year-old townhome has different plumbing needs than a 21st century condo. Regardless of the pipes, however, one thing is certain: the water should be flowing one way only. When it doesn’t – when an overflow takes place – it usually signals a significant problem in need of expert solutions. Dealing with an overflow isn’t fun, but with the right help, you can handle it quickly and efficiently, regardless of the circumstances. Some basic advice from one of our Tenafly plumbers can be found below.
- Shut off the water. You can usually find a shut-off valve in the back of the toilet or underneath the sink. That cuts off water to the appliance and prevents any more from spilling out into the rest of the house.
- Mop up the overflow water using towels, rags, a mop or similar device. The overflow water may contain waste or similar contaminants, so don’t use anything fancy. Wash your hands and clothes thoroughly when you’re done.
- Apply a plunger to the overflow drain to see if the water goes down at all. In some cases, a plunger will solve the problem.
- If that doesn’t work, call a plumber to snake the drain.
If the water doesn’t drop and/or the overflow continues, it’s time to call in a professional. A properly trained plumber can identify the source of the problem, and implement a solution that works. In many cases, the issue go beyond a simple blocked drain, in which case you need someone with experience to do the job right.
BZ Dependable offers plumbing services in Tenafly, NJ and throughout the surrounding communities. We handle 24 -our emergency services and our technicians are dedicated to your complete satisfaction. If your fixtures are overflowing and basic troubleshooting won’t fix it, give us a call today.
Posted in Plumbing
| Comments Off on TENAFLY PLUMBING TIP: DEALING WITH AN OVERFLOW
August 14, 2013
BioSmart is composed of enzymes and bacteria that specifically work to clean organic detritus out of your drains. Large-scale sewage treatment plants often use bacteria in the same way, since they are organic and can break down biological waste without impacting the environment. BioSmart doesn’t get diluted by water or use; unlike chemical cleanser, it remains in your system for weeks, continuing to attack the clogs and food particles well after normal cleaners have been washed away.
Furthermore, not only does it remain harmless to the environment, but it protects you as well; you don’t have to worry about handling dangerous chemicals. BioSmart performs more efficiently than traditional chemical drains. Just one capful is enough to handle most clogs.
At BZ Dependable, we’re firm believers in BioSmart and the ways it cleaning and efficiently deals with drain issues. That’s why we use it with our Drain Maid maintenance program and similar drain treatment plans. With it, we can keep your drain problems from backing up, while letting your relax with the knowledge that the nearby environment is safe from harsher drain cleaning chemicals.
If your drain is causing problems and you want a greener alternative, calls us today to set up an appointment. Our trained plumbers serve all of Tenafly, NJ and surrounding communities. We can fill you in on the details of our maintenance plan and show you why BioSmart is the best way to handle stubborn clogs in your plumbing.
For more information, call a plumber in Tenafly, NJ you can trust – call BZ Dependable!
Posted in Plumbing
| Comments Off on ASK A PLUMBER IN TENAFLY, NJ: WHAT IS BIOSMART DRAIN TREATMENT?
May 20, 2013
Your kitchen and bathroom are rooms with the majority of your plumbing needs, whether for the preparation of food, cleaning of dishes, or hygiene, the plumbing in both of these areas is subject to wear and tear every day for years on end. One of the most common problems for homeowners in our service area is how to prevent their bathtub or shower drains from backing up. It’s an important question because everything that goes down your drain has to be handled by your piping. The better you take care of your plumbing the better it can take care of you. Call BZ Dependable today if you need a Westwood, NJ plumber.
Let’s look at a few things you can do to prevent your bath drain from backing up.
- Use a hair stopper: One of the simplest things you can do is to purchase a hair stopper from your local hardware store. These small, inexpensive devices are actually quite effective when it comes to preventing hair from going down your drains, which is a major cause of clogs. When hair accumulates in clumps with other materials such as soap scum, then it can quickly back up your bathtub drain.
- Drain cleaning: If you’re concerned about the overall cleanliness and integrity of your drainpipe system, then you should consider a drain cleaning service. This is a great way to improve the longevity of your plumbing and to prevent clogs. Our expert plumbers use advanced techniques and equipment like video camera inspection and hydro jetting to ensure that the drain cleaning is thorough.
- BioSmart drain treatment: If you want to get smart about your plumbing, then consider BioSmart drain treatment. BioSmart is a non-toxic liquid filled with enzymes and bacteria that find organic matter and begin breaking it down. Unlike the harsh chemicals sold in stores, BioSmart doesn’t damage the environment or your piping. And it continues to work, long after you’ve poured a small amount in your drains.
We’d love to hear from you. Call BZ Dependable today if you’re in need of a Westwood, NJ plumber.
Posted in Plumbing
| Comments Off on WESTWOOD, NJ PLUMBER’S GUIDE: HOW TO KEEP YOUR BATHTUB FROM BACKING UP
April 22, 2013
You rely on your water heater on a daily basis to provide hot water to your bathroom and kitchen appliances, as well as your washing machine. If your water heater is finicky, or otherwise problematic, then you may not know whether your shower is going to be cold or not, or whether your laundry will be washed properly. If you find that your water heater is unreliable, make sure you get in touch with your local plumber. For Tenafly, NJ plumbing repairservices, contact the experts at BZ Dependable today!
So, your tankless water heater fails to heat the hot water as it should on a regular basis—what do you do?
- Check your warranty: What does your manufacturer or installer’s warranty cover exactly? Make sure you know about any services you’re entitled to. This should be the first step if you find that your tankless water heater no longer works as it should.
- Call your local plumber: Tankless water heaters are more complicated than tank storage models. There might be a quick and easy solution to the problem that you have not yet discovered. Referring the issue to your local plumber can help you determine the problem and the solution.
- Consider replacement: If your water heater is old, or requires frequent repairs, consider replacing it with a new energy efficient model. Every year, water heaters are getting more and more energy efficient. However, the most important part of water heater installation is ensuring that it’s completed professionally by a certified plumber.
Don’t settle for anything less than comfort and convenience. If your tankless water heater is acting up, or doesn’t respond to your hot water needs, make sure you hire a professional who will help you solve the problem. For Tenafly, NJ plumbing repair services, call the experts at BZ Dependable Plumbing & Heating Inc. today!
Posted in Plumbing
| Comments Off on TENAFLY, NJ PLUMBING REPAIR QUESTION: MY TANKLESS WATER HEATER IS UNRELIABLE – WHAT DO I DO?