In the long history of plumbing—which started with hollowed-out wooden tubes to carry water—galvanized steel pipes were a revolution in design. They improved vastly in strength and durability over iron, and they allowed the spread of indoor plumbing. Many homes today, and perhaps yours, still rely on steel pipes to carry water and waste.
However, today plumbers today favor other materials, particularly copper, for a variety of reasons. If your plumbing in Tenafly, NJ has old steel pipes that are causing issues for your home, you might want to consider consider replacing them with copper ones. BZ Dependable Plumbing & Heating, Inc. can replace the pipes in your home so you can take advantage of the many benefits of copper piping.
Here is why copper pipes are so popular:
- Corrosion resistant: Copper is a naturally corrosion-resistant metal, unlike steel. Steel pipes will eventually develop rust and other corrosion damage that will cause them to leak and eventually break. Copper will outlast steel pipes by many years, and they often outlast the buildings in which they are installed.
- No sagging: Copper is a light but rigid metal, so it does not require as much support when it is slung across long runs.
- Non-synthetic: Plastic piping is popular today—PEX, CPVC—but copper is a 100% natural metal that is environmentally friendly, with few emissions from its creation.
- Safe: To install copper tubes, plumbers do not need to use solvents that contain volatile organic compounds, such as adhesives that contribute to air pollution and ozone depletion. Copper is also lead-free.
- Durable: Copper can stand more than 1,000 psi of pressure, and it also resists the pressure problems created from a pipe freezing and thawing.
You don’t necessarily need to have all your plumbing replaced with copper pipes right away, but you should consider converting over some of the oldest pipes as soon as you can—especially for your sewer line. If you are experiencing an increasing number of leaks from your pipes, pipe replacement might be a better long term solution than just repairing the leaks.
Call BZ Dependable Plumbing & Heating, Inc. to talk about pipe replacement with our Tenafly, NJ plumbing experts.