With Labor Day past us, residents of Bergen County, NJ will begin preparing for the fall, and that means taking a close look at your household heater. Now is the ideal time to schedule a maintenance session for your heating system, when the weather is still warm and any serious problems can be addressed in a timely fashion before the temperatures start to drop. But what does a heating maintenance session involve? In simplest terms, it’s a kind of tune-up, designed to help it perform as efficiently as possible while spotting any significant problems while they’re still small enough to deal with quickly. More specifically, a standard heating maintenance session usually involves the following steps:
- The heater is shut down and the flow of gas is shut off. This keeps things safe for the technician and the home itself.
- Dust and dirt are removed from all of the components, and the burners are unclogged. In particular, the combustion chamber should be cleaned.
- Any loose bolts or fittings are tightened up, especially in the flue pipe or gas lines since leaks from those areas can pose a hazard for your household.
- All components will be examined for damage or similar issues. If a problem is spotted, you can schedule a repair session with the technician to fix it.
- The filters will be changed out or cleaned if they’re non-replaceable.
- The gas will be turned back on and the technician will check the system for 15-20 minutes to ensure that everything is working the way it should.
Ideally, you should schedule a maintenance session every fall about this time. In addition to getting a jump on potential repair problems, it will save you a great deal of money on monthly heating bills.
Call BZ Dependable today to schedule a heating maintenance session.