Spring is on its way again, which means that most households in the Teaneck, NJ area will be engaged in spring cleaning. In addition to the other tasks in your home – changing the sheets, cleaning the screens on your window and ordering maintenance for your heating system after the long winter – you should look into flushing your hot water heater.
Sediment can build up in the bottom of the tank, forming a barrier between the water and the burners. Not only does it force your water heater to work longer in order to warm the water, but over time, it could severely damage the tank itself. Flushing the tank gets rid of the sediment and helps your water heater last longer. A technician will flush the tank as part of regular maintenance on your water heater, but you can do it yourself without too much difficulty. Here’s a step-by-step guide to doing so.
- Turn off the gas or electrical power to your water heater at the breaker box or thermostat.
- Shut off the water supply to the water heater by turning the water shut-off valve, usually located at the top of your tank. (In some cases, you may want to let the water in the tank cool overnight before moving forward.)
- Open the hot water tap on your tub, faucet or shower.
- Run a hose from the water heater to the water drain in your home, or into a bucket or similar receptacle.
- Open the pressure release valve and allow the water to drain out of your system. Check the bucket for silt or sand if necessary.
- Close the valve and turn the water back on, allowing the tank to fill back up.
- Turn on the power to the water heater again.
- Shut off the hot water valve in your faucet or shower once the water is flowing freely. Turn it on again in 30 minute to ensure that the water is hot again.
Teneck Water Heater Repair & Inspections
When it comes to Teaneck water heater repair, you need someone who can help you fast. No matter when your hot water heater goes out or your tank ruptures, we have you covered.
We have serviced water heaters in the Teaneck and Bergen County area for many years, so we’ll get to the bottom of your water heater problem fast. Whether the problem is big or small, we’ll have the solutions you need to get your hot water back on in no time! What’s more, if your water heater is at the end of its life, we can provide fast and reliable Teaneck water heater installation too!
Call the pros at BZ Dependable, Inc. for help with your water heater!