The water heater is one of the most important appliances in your Bergen County, NJ home. Yet because they do their jobs so quietly, potential problems can be overlooked until they’re bad enough to cause some serious damage. you can help you own cause first by scheduling an annual water heater maintenance session from your friendly professional, and then by flushing it yourself 2-4 additional times a year.
Why flush your water heater? Because sediment builds up on the bottom of the tank over time, insulating the water from the heat source and increasing strain on the system. That’s the bad news. the good news is that flushing the heater requires only a garden hose, a convenient drain (or bucket large enough to hold the water), and the following instructions:
- Turn the heat source off to your water heater, then shut off the cold water line leading into the tank.
- Attach one end of the hose to the drain valve in the bottom of the tank. Attache the other end of the hose to a drain or suitably large bucket.
- Open the drain valve, then open the pressure relief valve at the top of the water heater.
- Allow the water to drain.
- Turn on the cold water line and allow the tank to rinse several times to make sure all of the sediment is washed out.
- Close the pressure relief valve.
- Close the drain valve and detach the hose, then allow the tank to refill.
- Reignite the heat source (if it’s gas) or restore power to the system (if it’s electrical).
- Wait at 15-20 minutes least before using the hot water. (The system will need time to warm it up properly.)
BZ Dependable knows how important your water heater is, and we provide top-notch service like water heater repair or water heater installation to homes and commercial spaces throughout the area. Give us a call today!