If you’re in the market for a new heater, chances are you need to act fast. Winters are cold enough here in Bogota, NJ that you need a reliable heating system to function every day, and if your existing system can’t limp along until spring, you need to move on getting it replaced immediately. The more you know about what to look for in a new heater, the better.
In particular, you want to pay attention to the AFUE rating, which stands for Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency. It measures the overall efficiency of the system, and can help you choose the heater that will give you the most for your dollar.
A SIMPLE PERCENTAGE
The AFUE rating is measured in a simple percentage, measuring the amount of power consumed by the heater is output in actual heating power. For example, a heater with an 80% AFUE rating generates 80% of its consumed energy in heating power, with the other 20% being lost to waste and inefficiency. Obviously, the higher the AFUE rating, the better, though that’s not always the whole story.
BALANCED AGAINST POWER LEVELS
The AFUE rating measures efficiency, but efficiency only matters when the power output matches the needs of your home. It you have an underpowered heater, it doesn’t matter much if it’s more efficient than a more powerful heater: it will run so much more often that you’ll end up paying more in monthly bills anyway. Once you and your technician have sized your home properly and determine the correct power level your heater requires, you can then evaluate the AFUE ratings within the list of appropriate heaters.
Decisions like these always benefit from the word of a trained technician. Call the team at BZ Dependable Plumbing & Heating Inc. today to set up a consultation. We’ll find the right heater to you and install it with confidence and pride!